Friday, March 12

Knowing our Ancestors helps us to better understand ourselves.

So here is my small claim to fame. I really don't know anybody famous. I have never met a prophet or anything. Well there is a story in this month's Ensign (The value of experiencing and expressing gratitude by Vaughn E. Worthen pg 44 March 2010) about my Great Great Grandmother-Mary Ann Mellor.
I am proud to recognize she is my ancestor. Her story is amazing. Her daughter one of the twins, Clara Althera Mellor, was my great grandmother. Her son George Allen Hill was the father to my grandma (pictured below) Mary Hill Ashdown Barrowes. Yes I know some people get bored with genealogy, but I find it fascinating. We called my grandma, "Grandma DUCK" because she lived in this house with a duck pond. My grandma is still alive today and will celebrate her 90th birthday NEXT year. She is an amazing women. I love her and have learned a lot from her. I will always treasure those memories. She was raised in difficult circumstances. Her mother passed away when she was only ten. She moved to live with her brother Von. She was raised in several different places and then ended up meeting and marrying my grandfather Ellis Ashdown. They settled in Utah where my father was raised. She was an interesting story about her sealing in the temple. I will post that at another time.
I love this quote about genealogy- Knowing our ancestors helps us to better understand ourselves.



So that is it. That is my claim to fame. I am truly grateful for my pioneer heritage and their faith. I know that these women I have been talking about had faith. They were remarkable. I am thankful for them and thankful for this article it really helped strengthen me and my faith.
Have a great day!
Carrie





No comments:

Add This Transparent Notification Bar To Your Blog Transparent Notification Bar

X